What are the little things around your home that need minor repair, but for some reason you are tolerating them and are procrastinating to fix them?
Maybe it is squeaking door, a room that needs to be repainted, a loose drawer handle…. I'm sure you can think of many more. These could be minor things that you have learned to tolerate and put up with every day of your life. Think of them as the background noise in your life. You have come to accept them as part of your environment!
Now stop and think for moment and ask yourself: "What are some of the things I put up with at work, in my personal life, in my social environment or in my relationships? What are the things I wish would resolve themselves somehow?"
Perhaps you are tolerating a certain situation at work because you want to avoid a possible confrontation with a manager or a co-worker. Maybe you tolerate a certain situation or a little annoyance within your relationship so that the other person will approve of you. Maybe you are unhappy with the way someone is treating you. What do you tolerate from yourself?
Sometimes it is easier to ignore your 'tolerations' rather than to take the necessary action to clean them up. When you allow those 'tolerations' to hang around in your life, they will slowly but surely drain your energy and show up under the form of stress and anxiety. They can chip away at your self-esteem, confidence and enthusiasm.
Here are a few life coaching tips to help with the process:
- Step back for a moment and become clear about all the things you will no longer tolerate in your life.
- Make a list of 10 things that you are putting up with. Ask yourself what each is costing you in terms of energy, confidence and enthusiasm?
- Resolve to take action. The decision to act on 'tolerations' is very liberating and will improve the quality of your life.
- Set target dates and make time in your schedule to overcome your 'tolerations'.
- Seek the support from friends, family or a personal life coach to keep you focused and stay on track.
Living a life you want not only means choosing the things you want but also eliminating the things that are hanging around in your life that you no longer want.
Now is the perfect time to do some personal housecleaning, and remove some of the clutter around your house, at work or in your relationships.
When you resolve to stop putting up, you will find a renewed sense of freedom and balance in your life.
Have a great weekend!